The owner of a patent is granted exclusionary rights to stop others from making, using, selling or importing the patented invention for a certain number of years. Given the rights afforded, patents are issued by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office after a lengthy examination process.
A patent can be granted for a new and useful product (including mechanical devices and chemical compositions), or for a process (such as processes for making drugs and methods of genetic engineering, and some computer programs).
At Gottlieb, Rackman & Reisman, we strive to work within your budget as obtaining patents can become expense. We make it a priority to know your business and the business of your major competitors to better understand the benefits of your technology as it relates to your market. This results in overall reduced fees to you. Our attorneys offer a full spectrum of patent-related services. Our dedication, in combination with our finely honed expertise, allows us to provide the highest level of service in connection with patent matters within your budget constraints. These include:
- Performing patentability searches and opinions;
- Preparing and filing patent applications and obtaining U.S. patents;
- Filing patent applications abroad and obtaining foreign patents;
- Filing foreign priority applications in the U.S. that originate from abroad;
- Designing and negotiating patent licensing programs;
- Undertaking patent due diligence studies in the context of acquisitions;
- Providing patent validity opinions;
- Performing clearance and right to use studies;
- Enforcing patents via patent assertions and Federal court litigation;
- Defending clients against claims of patent infringement;
- Reviewing patents to determine the propriety of the patent in patent pools;
- Advising in connection with technology transfer transactions;
- Drafting Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs).
Inventions can also take the form of original ornamental designs (for instance, design of jewelry, furniture, products or packaging). We are experienced in protecting your design inventions and have issued many patents directed to all types of designs.